Support Our Kids!
Help us assist kids in need.
Follow Us On TwitterFollow @CovenantHouseGA
Mission, Vision and Principles
We who recognize God's providence and fidelity to his people are dedicated to living out his covenant among ourselves and those children we serve, with absolute respect and unconditional love. That commitment calls us to serve suffering children of the street, and to protect and safeguard all children. Just as Christ in his humanity is the visible sign of God's presence among his people, so our efforts together in the covenant community are a visible sign that effects the presence of God, working through the Holy Spirit among ourselves and our kids.
- In the third millennium Covenant House will continue to fulfill its mission by providing shelter and services to children and youth who are homeless or at great risk. In the spirit of open intake, services will be offered to all youth who seek help, with a priority of concern and commitment to those for whom no other service is available.
- We will make every effort to reunite kids with their families.
- We will collaborate with community agencies and associations and actively participate in community efforts to improve the condition of families and children.
- We will advocate with and on behalf of youth to raise awareness in the community about their suffering.
- Our mission is based on faith and the belief that all children and youth have a right to love, respect and genuine concern. Our individual and shared spirituality will permeate all of our activities.
5 Covenant House Principles
Our youth come to us in crisis. Immediately and without questions, we meet their basic human needs – a hot meal, a shower, clean clothes, a bed (or mat) medical attention, and a safe place away from the dangers of the street.
A place of refuge; a sacred space. The youth who come to us are often frightened and mistrustful. Many of them have been abused. We protect them from the perils of the street. A young person can grow only when they feel safe and secure.
Our interactions with our youth communicate our values. Teaching them how to have caring/loving relationships based on acceptance and understanding, honesty and integrity, trust and respect may be something no one has ever taken the time to do. Street values of lying, cheating, and stealing may be common survival tools on the street, but they don’t belong here.
Chaos is what our youth are familiar with. A solid structure allows us to help them contain their chaos. Some of our youth don’t know where they will get their next meal or where they will sleep. We provide a regular schedule that gives them the stability they need to start building their future.
Young people often feel powerless to control their lives and fall into a self-defeating cycle of failure. Choice is about helping our youth believe in themselves and their ability to make life changing choices about who they want to be in this world.